In the original Civic Museums of Perugia in Palazzo dei Priori there were “a number of Roman coins,” part of the collection donated by Count Francesco Friggeri in 1790. Starting in 1812, the collection of ancient, medieval and modern coins grew continuously through excavations, findings and donations. Archive records compiled between 1886 and 1890 list a collection composed of 7473 coins and 631 medals.
Among the most important acquisitions were the 3,782 medieval coins found sometime before 1930 hidden in a building in Perugia, and the purchase in 1927 of the Quarlieri Collection, which included over 2,300 ancient, medieval and modern coins, medals, and papal bulls.
After the Civic Museums were moved to the convent of San Domenico in 1947, the first Definitive Municipal Inventory was drawn up (dated 1957), with a sufficiently detailed list of the coins on public display.
An inventory of all the numismatic materials is being compiled for a progressive edition, in these pages, of chronologically grouped sets.